Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Story: The Voyages of Sinbad

Whiskey glass on a bar
Photo found on pixabay


It is 2am on a Tuesday. Sailor’s Pub is a pub in the outskirts of Baghdad. The manager, who also tends bar, is preparing to close the bar for the night. All customers have left and the pub is quiet. When he looks down the bar, he sees an older man with a scruffy beard and baggy eyes. The man is sitting quietly alone with his head down and a glass of whiskey in his hand. The manager walks over to the man to see if he is alright. The man lifts his head slightly and whispers, “I’m not a bad person.”

“What?” says the manager.

“I did it to survive…does that make me a bad man?” says the man.

The manager realizes that he cannot just kick the man out of the bar. The man is clearly troubled, so he pours himself a glass of whiskey and asks, “What is your name?”

The man replies, “Sinbad.”

“Well, Sinbad, tell me what is bothering you,” the manager softly says.

At this point in time, Sinbad raises his head to stare directly into the manager’s eyes. With a surprisingly calm demeanor, Sinbad dives into the story of his fourth voyage….

“You see, I was once a merchant. I sailed many voyages. The fourth of my seven voyages brought out the worst in me. We were sailing the great sea when our ship wrecked on an island. Me and my crew were captured by some inhabitants of the island. These people…they were…they were crazy. They drugged my crew, taking over their brains. I refused to take the drug because I knew I must keep my wits about me. They began to fatten my crew up like they were pigs for slaughter. One night…my crew just disappeared from our sleeping area.”

At this point both the manager and Sinbad take a large sip of whiskey, and the manager softly says, “Continue.”

Sinbad continues.

“The next day I was walking around the camp looking for my crew…All I found was human remains. They had been eaten by these cannibals. I knew, then, that I must make a move at an escape. I waited till no one was watching and I bolted. I ran as fast as I could through the jungle, ducking and dodging trees. When I hit the shore, there was a merchant ship anchored. The merchants were kind enough to take me in.”

The manager intercedes, “Well, escaping without your crew doesn’t make you a bad person. There was nothing you could do.”

“It gets worse…” Sinbad replies as he takes another sip of whiskey.

“The merchants took me to their island. They gave me many treasures and treated me with much care. They even gave me a beautiful wife to marry….”

He continues telling the story of living in peace on the island.

“One day my wife became very sick and eventually disease took her. I was devastated. What came next was even worse. It was custom for a widower to be buried alive with the remains of the dead spouse… They snagged me and lowered me into a tomb deep in the ground with minimal provisions to survive. I began to give up hope on the fifth day….But then…then…”

Sinbad trails off and looks away. His eyes begin watering. He chokes up and does not know if he can continue. The manager lets Sinbad sit in silence for a few moments before putting his hand on Sinbad’s shoulder and softy saying, “You don’t have to continue if you don’t wish to.”

“I need to. I need to clear my mind of this,” Sinbad replied. He took the last gulp of whiskey and the manager gave him a refill. He took a deep breath and continued.

“On the fifth day in the tomb, another couple was lowered into the hole. The woman was the one alive. She had a fresh amount of provisions. I…I needed to survive…I had to make it home. I killed her.”

Sinbad begins to cry but continues telling the story.

“I killed every person who came down the hole, and I stole their provisions. I am a bad person!”

Sinbad is frantically weeping. The manager tries for another thirty minutes to calm Sinbad down. When Sinbad finally calms down, he explains how he stole jewels from the tomb and escaped through a tunnel that an animal dug out. He found his way home and sold the jewels for money, all of the jewels except one necklace. It was the necklace of the first woman he killed in the tomb. He keeps it to remind him of the things he’s done.

By this time, it is nearly 4am and Sinbad has stopped crying. The manager explains that everyone does bad things, but that doesn’t make them a bad person. He assures Sinbad that there is still time to turn his life around and do some good. He then walks Sinbad out, and they shake hands. At this point, Sinbad thanks him for listening, and the manager then closes the bar and goes home.

Author's Note:

Sinbad went on seven voyages that all ended with him shipwrecked and finding a way home. The fourth voyage involved him being buried alive and killing innocent people lowered into the tomb. It was easily the worst thing that Sinbad had to do to survive, so I imagine it took a toll on him. I decided to write the story about the toll it took on him by having Sinbad finally tell the story of his survival after many years of holding it in. In my story, Sinbad was very ashamed about what he did, but refused to retell the story. When someone has a secret that they are ashamed of, it can slowly eat away at their conscience. It is better for someone to talk out their feelings with another person, whether that be a therapist or, in this case, a friendly bartender. Alcohol can sometimes loosen up a person’s lips, and allow them to spill their feelings. Sinbad finally could not hold in his secrets anymore. Afterwards, Sinbad could finally move on with his life after letting go of his past. This is an overarching theme in life, you must let go of the past to move on with your future.

Bibliography:
The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898). Link



12 comments:

  1. This was an awesome story. I was really intrigued throughout the entire story. I kept trying to imagine what the man could have done. At one point I was afraid that he might eat the people coming into the hole. It would have been nice if was able to save at least one person and help them escape as well, but I just like happy endings. The way you describe the two men taking a drink throughout the story was cool. I look forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with your story! The way you write and explain the dialogue is very captivating. This story was intense and you told it really well. I like the idea of him confessing in the bar. I feel like that really humanizes Sinbad, because he is so often just seen as a great adventurer. I love the story of Sindbad and I think your telling is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done! I love how to add this background story to the Sinbad story. This really helps define Sinbad’s character. He was not a cold-blooded and selfish person. In life and death situation, one tends to put his self ahead of other. This showed how he ashamed of his actions, and this background story helps explain how Sinbad can behave happily in later voyage. It is not that he doesn’t care that he killed an innocent woman, but he finally live out of his nightmare. He can move on, saving other people and do good deeds, instead of drowning his life in misery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    I love the setting that you used- Pubs are a great place for stories. They're full of mystery, interesting characters, and alcohol, which presents problems by itself!

    I love the mystery that you open with in the beginning paragraph- who is this strange man? What is he doing in the pub? Why does he say that he isn't a bad person?

    The bartender is such a classic character, as well. I really like that you played on this and had him tend to the old man's issues.

    Although I pity Sinbad, I can't imagine what I would have done in his position. Could I have been strong enough to make it out alive? I couldnt imagine myself taking anyother person's life, but could I if it was the only chance I had at survival? Especially if I lost someone I loved- like Sinbad lost his wife.

    I really enjoyed this story and can't wait to hear about more of Sinbad!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the image of the whisky on your home page. It gives a dark and edgy vibe (if it were a pina colada or vodka cranberry, it wouldn’t give quite the same effect). That being said, what if you tried to match that almost somber tone with your site layout or colors? I think it could bring a mysterious and engaging edge to your page. Before the image, or the text, I wasn’t sold on your story. Maybe play around with it to see what looks best! Great dialog. I can hear the two men talking when I read this. If you feel like making it more realistic, you could make the bartender a little annoyed at first. Just a thought. I am not sure if it is possible, but if you feel like changing your overall blog title, that might help with the overall theme of the site. It makes it seem like it would be academic-like writing instead of stories that are actually fun to read like yours are! I love how you added that he felt bad for what he did and that he kept a necklace to remind him of it. It humanizes him when he actually feels remorse…Otherwise it looks great! I look forward to reading more from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tim, this was a really cool account of Sinbad's emotions post his fifth voyage. I also read the voyages of Sinbad and wrote to a similar effect on his personality and thoughts. I think you gave a great post-traumatic stress disordered to Sinbad’s character. He seems to be really eaten up by his past actions and seems to be a regular in this pub. On the note of pub’s, I don’t think you could have given a better image for the setting of this story. The dark colored whiskey or scotch on ice seems to give of an aroma and great theme to the story. The only comments I have are about possibly adding another image towards the end of the story that brings a more uplifting tone. I think this would give a great reflection of the new man Sinbad is after he releases his personal demons that he has been holding onto for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tim,

    I really enjoyed this story. I love that you didn't retell the story exactly, but instead added onto it. I haven’t thought about doing this with any of my stories. I usually just follow the plot of the original and add my own characters or some minor twists. The pub setting was perfect, and I love that the men are drinking whiskey. You also did an excellent job at giving Sinbad's character more depth. I also think it's awesome that, even though this story takes place in a very condensed amount of time and a single setting, you were able to show some development in Sinbad's character. This story resonated with me a lot because I think it's so important to get things off your chest and clear your conscience every once in awhile. This was a perfect first addition to your portfolio. I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim,

    I really enjoyed your story, but I do have a couple of suggestions as well!

    What if you reworded this line " They drugged my crew, taking over their brains."? "Taking over their brains" seems a little vague, and the wording somewhat distracted me from the story. Were they able to control their brains with the drugs? Or did the drugs just decrease their inhibitions? I'm also wondering how Sinbad was able to avoid taking the drugs? Was he given a choice, or did he somehow deceive the islanders into thinking he took the drugs when he didn't?
    Also, what if you added more details about the bar or the atmosphere/feel of the night that Sinbad tells this story? Was it cold and rainy? Was it a warm summer night? I think that would pull me in and help me connect with the story even more!
    I really like how you retold this story, though. It's true that bartenders here many crazy stories, so I think it was both interesting and realistic! Good job.

    ReplyDelete


  9. I really enjoyed your story. I was intrigued by the scene that you set up, an empty bar fixing to close and one lone patron sadly sitting at the end. It did a good job of grabbing my attention. I thought the direction you chose to go with the story was an excellent idea. I have never read the stories of Sinbad, but based on your story and the author’s note I have a good idea of what is going on. I think that having him drinking alone in a bar was a good way for him to retell the story. Like you said, alcohol can loosen up someone’s lips and make it easier for them to talk. I think it is also pretty common for people to say that bar tenders are often like therapists, listening to everyone’s problems. The way you set up the dialogue helped solidify this point, it also helped show how remorseful and guilty Sinbad feels. Overall it was very well written and did an excellent job of not only grabbing my attention, but also keeping me intrigued the whole time I was reading. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tim! First of all, I really enjoyed the way you wrote this story. Stories are always so much more enjoyable to read when they are well written. I have never read the story of Sinbad before, but really enjoyed your version to the point that I feel like I don’t even need to read the original! It was really cool to me how you had the man telling the story while he was sitting in the bar alone. The dialog was really good! I do agree with Sara above on a couple things; I think it would be even more interesting if you added more details to the surroundings of the bar! It would be cool to know if there was a blizzard outside, or even just a perfect day with the sun shining and a cool breeze! Other than that, this was a really good story. Thanks for an awesome read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was an awesome story! Your opening is great. I would maybe add a few more details about the atmosphere to really describe what the setting of this bar is like. Maybe it is dirty and smokey and dreary and that is why Sinbad chose it, because it kind of represents what he is feeling. I liked how you used your retelling to show how Sinbad felt about his actions, it was very creative. Make sure that you are keeping the entire story in the same tense; I felt like it skipped from past to present tense closer to the end some. I think you used really good detail and descriptions in your story and I felt that I could follow along with what was going on with a picture in my head. I would add more detail of how upset Sinbad was when telling the story instead of just saying he was crying. Maybe he could be shaking or even get the hiccups from crying so much. I enjoyed this story a lot and think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a very interesting story and I enjoyed it very much. Like everyone else I think your intro was the best part to your story. I think this is a great way to open a story up. A few things I would suggest are: one this story seems to be a lot of small stories that I think you could break up into smaller stories for later on in your profile. I would like to hear more about the cannibals, and the merchants' and the tomb. Each of those I think could be a story in themselves. Another thing is I would love to see a little more descriptive words used in the Sinbad dialogue. This would give the reader a little more connection to him and feel for the situations he's been in. Overall it's a great story and thought it was very well written.

    ReplyDelete